17 January 2018

12 Years Ago: "Owning It"

the picture I drew for the festival  
I was so driven by this insane passion as this material was flowing through me in the Autumn of 2005. So, that makes my son just turned 4 and I am 33. I had gotten back together with my son's father, after he'd spent most of that year in an affair with this woman, with a baby of her own, who'd just moved to town. I was blazing for some empowerment. I was trying to "transcend" the occurrence, disruption, and move forward with my family. I had the experience with the Salvia divinorum in the summer we'd just had, but hadn't spoke of it yet to anyone. 
       "He" was housesitting. I was staying with him there, with our kid. I don't remember why, but I remember the desk was by the window. It overlooked the yard. I could see the streetlight next street over by the movies. I sat at that desk, when the child was asleep and wrote, and wrote. All of these workshop ideas and descriptions, a full month long calendar of events. It poured out of me like hot butter. It would have done me a bit better if I had let it percolate some, choose a different month, and wait to attract other women who were on the exact page as me. Or, at least we could've each flipped a page and met there instead- something. 
       But, something truly magical did occur, on Valentine's Day 2006. After many weeks of rehearsal, a so called "ordinary" group of women brought a powerhouse performance of The Vagina Monologues to our little town. We were real. We were raw. We were pumped. We gave it all- to a packed house, so chilly, the audience kept their coats on. But it got hot in there. And there were howls and yips, and ovations, all standing and to lumps in throats as hot tears burned every cheek. Do you know how we did that?
We sat in Circle.
       Every week, for six weeks. We passed the talking stick. We introduced ourselves. We told our Truths, why we were there. 
       What drew me here? Why do I want to do this play? I gave those answers to myself, then I put out a casting call in the local paper. I would take everyone that showed up. It worked out in the end that each woman who committed would be able to select 2 of the monologues that resonated the most with her. No two women picked the same monologue. Early on we had some conflicts with the venue that was going to host the events for the month, so we moved across town. It was cold at the new venue, but we were on fire.
       We sat in a circle, and each woman would read her part, as it would come up via the script. So, each woman's voice would come out of the circle to give voice to the Monologue that touched her own Soul. There were many tears shed and hugs shared throughout these sessions. We were building something, if only for a short while- cohesion, solidarity, safety, sisterhood. Women being loving and supportive of each other woman's unique power. We held a space for each other as we met each week to read and prepare for V-Day.
       Of course, there were some things that happened that all extremely green event planners will experience. I must say, it was a hellavan attempt to awaken the Goddess in my town. Some professional actresses tried to make a fancy go of the play for a couple of years afterwards, as a benefit. It just didn't take. The Heart wasn't there.
       

(I grabbed this text from my teacher's site, after I googled my name, then found this, found out about the women's march on Jan. 20th, and said, yep. Oh well...)


"February 2006 will bring a celebration of sacred art,
education, and events by women for women,
ABOUT women, in Woodstock NY
The ***** Gallery and Studio, in central Woodstock, NY, will be host to “Owning It: Our Feminine Divine.” This 28 day fĂȘte will be put together by women for women and be all about WOMEN.
This month of February, declared Women’s Month, will be rich with the diversity of the area and depth of the women creating it.
* Among the many planned events there will be Monday Moonlodges and Talking Stick circles for women, sacred and simple ceremonies, all woman made art, and a Sunday Women in Music series.
* Classes and workshops throughout the month will include women’s sexuality, spirituality and healing, dances and meditations. Some of the presenters are Sheri Winston, Susun Weed, Rev. Ursula Carrie, and Serpentessa.
* Goddess Movement Movie nights will feature The Goddess Remembered and The Burning Times.
* Another highlight of the month will be The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler, read by local women and presented on V-day, February 14th. Proceeds from this event will sponsor an evening program of empowerment for young women ages 12-17.
Rev. Ursula Carrie is events coordinator and contact person. You can reach her at rootsma@yahoo.com or PO Box 613, Woodstock, NY 12498. You can learn more about ***** Gallery and Studio at 130 Tinker St. in Woodstock, NY, by visiting XXXXX
Check out the already packed calender at the website! "

No comments: